Check out the steadily growing list of Subsonic apps. These provide fun and alternative ways to enjoy your media collection – no matter where you are.
On your phone
On your device
On your desktop
In your browser
Please note that most of the apps are made by third-party developers, and are not maintained by the Subsonic project. Some apps are commercial, while some are available for free.
Also note that after a 30-day trial period you need to upgrade to Subsonic Premium to use the apps. By upgrading you also get other benefits; see info box on the right.
Interested in making your own Subsonic app? Check out the API.
Stream music and video from your home computer to your phone. Never sync again! All your media - anywhere, anytime!
Songs are cached for offline playback. Supports mp3, ogg, aac, flac, wma. Most video formats supported too.
You can also use this app as a remote control for music playing on your server.
Features offline mode, adaptive bitrates, equalizer and visualizer.
Developed and maintained by Sindre Mehus, the author of Subsonic. Available on Google Play.
- Full support for creating and managing on-the-go playlists.
- Automatic full song caching for the best network performance with no music drop outs.
- Manually cache songs (Wifi sync) to listen offline, like on an airplane.
- Caching of all browsed directories for speedy browsing.
- Retina display support for beautiful album art while browsing and in the player.
- Skipping within tracks, even while they are streaming.
- Resuming music when interrupted by a call or text or when closing the app using the home button while a song is playing.
- Each music folder is a playlist automatically so when you select a track from an album it will continue to play the rest of the tracks in that album.
- Shuffle, Repeat 1, and Repeat All when playing an album.
- Detailed track information by tapping the cover art.
- Jukebox mode to use your device as a remote control for Subsonic for listening to music around the house.
- Access your entire music library from anywhere on your iPhone or iPod regardless of the size of your music collection.
- Play song formats that the iPhone/iPod will not normally play e.g. wma, flac, ogg.
- Caches all queued songs as quickly as possible once Wi-fi connection is detected.
- Browse and manage cached songs by artist/album. Delete entire artist/album from cache at once.
- Delete or change song priority on the Now Playing list while songs are playing.
- Double buffering: upcoming song starts to download before the currently playing song finishes.
- Seeking for fully cached songs.
- Load playlists stored on the Subsonic server.
- Multiple server configuration.
- Random playlist generation using entire song collection.
- Repeat/shuffle/skip songs.
- SSL support with prompt to authorize self-signed certificates.
- Full caching. Z-Subsonic can be used fully disconnected with previously streamed music.
See the video on YouTube.
- Always have access to your entire music collection without the need for any third party server or subscription.
- Supports all popular formats (WMA, FLAC, MP3, AAC, OCG etc).
- Keep listening when you have no cellular coverage due to full local storage including cover art, lyrics and info.
- Manage your local stored music in a convenient way.
- Control the quality of the music by controlling the streaming bit-rate.
- Create playlists on the device which can contain songs from different servers simultaneously.
- Add easily your newest music, your recently played albums, or your frequently played albums.
- Add random albums.
- Full search support.
- Keep playing behind locked screen.
- Full integration with the Music and Video hub.
- Automatic storage management of local stored songs.
- Allowing to lock specific local songs.
This application focuses on fast and easy handling with two main pages: "Now playing" where you see and control all what is currently playing including cover art and lyrics; and "Add to now playing" providing different methods for adding albums and songs to your playlist. Start the application and the music is playing (just one click)!
Go get it on the Windows Phone Marketplace!
SilverSonic is a Windows Phone 7 app developed by Gabriele Cannata.
- Offline caching
- Keywords search
- Pseudo playlists (newest, random, frequent...)
- Download manager
- Selectable bitrate
- Run under lock screen
- Both ID3 tags and folder-based browsing
SilverSonic is available for purchase in the Windows Marketplace.
SonicAir is a Subsonic app for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Play all sorts of video and audio, even high definition 720P MKV files.
- Listen to music and watch videos.
- Control bitrate.
- Cache lists for offline use.
- Create and play playlists.
- Use quick list feature to create on-the-go playlists.
- Download songs for offline use later.
Developed and maintained by Mir & Windsor Design, it's sold for $2.99 on BlackBerry App World.
Introducing the Subsonic app for Chumby-powered devices.
- Easy to use touchscreen tabletop experience for the Subsonic server.
- Inviting home screen randomly cycles through your music collection.
- Full alphabetical directory browsing and integrated soft keyboard for search.
- Play "DJ" and add albums and songs to the internal playlist while listening.
- Quick functions like "show 30 random albums", "play 50 random songs", etc.
- Simple and responsive navigation system.
- Runs on most Chumby-powered devices.
- Long-term development road map.
Subsonic for Chumby is provided free of charge by develephant.
SubsonicTV for Roku is the perfect solution for enjoying your music & video collection on your TV. No need to go through the hassle of uploading to the cloud and syncing your files.
Developed by JNC Ventures and Musiclouds, it's available both as a free lite version and a paid premium version.
Subsonic Channel is an open-source Roku frontend to Subsonic.
- Browse your entire catalog.
- Search for artists, albums, songs.
- Full catalog shuffle playback.
- Quick browse of Subsonic album lists (Random, Recent, Top Rated, etc.)
Subsonic Channel is developed by Michael Ihde and is donation-supported.
XO is a Subsonic app for webOS.
Stream any music directly to your TouchPad, Pre, Pixi, or Veer. Built-in HTML5 streaming media support and player, with support for file download and drag-and-drop playlists. XO makes streaming your music from home to wherever you are simple and fun!
It is also available for BlackBerry PlayBook.
XO is developed by Eric Blade.
Submariner is a Subsonic desktop application for Mac.
It provides a clean user interface to manage your remote libraries and to listen your music with simplicity. With the cache streaming and download features, you can also listen to your favorite tracks offline.
Thumper is a native Subsonic client for Mac.
- A Native Mac Application - designed on the Mac, for the Mac.
- Local Caching of Library Information, Audio, and Album Art - reduce bandwidth and get a more responsive experience.
- Browse Artists, Albums, and Songs.
- Quick Artist Filter - quickly narrow your results.
- Playlists - play, create, and delete Subsonic playlists.
- Search - find the song you're looking for quickly.
- Current Playlist Persistence - pickup right where you left off, even after a reboot.
- Mac Media Key Integration - previous, play/pause, and next key support.
- Keyboard Shortcuts - control volume, repeat, shuffle, etc. through keyboard shortcuts.
- Last.fm Integration - songs are scrobbled as they're played.
- Playback via QuickTime - if QuickTime can play it, so can Thumper.
- View Random, Newest, Highest Rated, Most Frequent, and Recently Played Albums.
- Smart Playlist Creation - get random songs narrowed by genre or year.
- Now Playing Support - See what other users are listening to.
- Transcoding (including FLAC) support with Subsonic 4.6 or greater.
- Video streaming (requires proper codec to be installed, see FAQ).
Requires Mac OS X 10.7 or greater.
Subsonic8 is an open-source Windows 8 app developed by Cristi Badila.
- Plays audio and video
- Media playback integration with OS (hotkeys, volume, notifications)
- Save/load playlists
- Save/restore state
Subclient is Java desktop client for Subsonic.
- VLC-based audio and video playback.
- Tray icon and media keys supported.
- Multiple Subsonic servers can be used.
- The playlist is saved between sessions.
- Indexes, Podcasts and Playlists fetched from Subsonic server.
- Cover arts stored locally to improve performance.
Subclient is made by Alejandro Celaya Alastrué and is free of charge (but accepts donations).
MiniSub is an HTML5 mini player for Subsonic. It's bundled with the Subsonic server and is also available as a Chrome app.
- Flexible layout (scales to whatever size your browser window is)
- Customizable (features can be turned on/off and settings are saved)
- Keyboard shortcuts (back, forward, play/pause, skip to artist)
- Playlists (create new, add to existing, delete, drag and drop sorting)
- Artist/Album ratings
- Chat and Now playing
Upgrade to Subsonic Premium to enjoy these extra features:
- Apps for Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Roku and more*.
- Video streaming.
- Podcast receiver.
- Share your media on Facebook, Twitter, Google+.
- No ads in the web interface.
- Your personal server address: yourname.subsonic.org
* Some apps must be purchased separately or are ad-supported.